"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world.
Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead

Building Futures, Inc.

Building Futures, Inc.

Friday, June 27, 2014

Thursday, June 26 part 2

I was exhausted when we got back last night, but fighting dogs kept me awake until close to 11.  I was looking forward to 8 hours of sleep, but, lucky for you, it's 5am and I'm wide awake.  I'm trying to make better use of the is time so here we go...
We sat in the local restaurant having a cold Tusker and watching Portugal v Ghana.  It's still within the grounds of the hotel, so we didn't have to go far.  The bar was fitted with a big screen tv in one corner opposite the bar and a smaller one behind the bartenders head above the liquor bottles.  It's an interesting setup, and as I watched the bartender, it didn't look like he was watching the patrons as much as he was watching the game.  There were 4 people at the bar and another 6 or 7 people seated at tables.  This crowd (albeit small) likes soccer.  If you're from the US and not a soccer fan, it must be interesting to travel internationally during the World Cup.   Passion for the sport is high here, and everyone has a favorite team... rarely is it Kenya-they're just not good enough.  Instead, at least with my experience on this trip, they'll support any team from Africa.  If/when Cameroon loses, I wonder if they'll move to any team in the southern hemisphere.  They're not big fans of Brazil, that is certain. In fact, most people support Germany.  On the flight over here, Kevin was asked by a flight attendant if he supports the US.  Kevin said, "I don't follow soccer."  I disagree.  Sitting next to him watching a couple games during the week, he's pretty knowledgable.  Granted, he shakes his head in disgust during most of the game, mostly due to the duration of the game or the acting that's done during collisions.  "Look at this guy holding his knee in agony!  He's going to be standing just fine in 30 seconds."
We ordered before the 1st half ended, and the food didn't arrive until the game was over.  It was after 9pm when the choma (beef) arrived.  I have to say that when you're from the US visiting Kenya, your jaw gets a workout.  With the exception of Kiboku Bay and Momba's (great kuku), your front teeth need to be sharp and you better plan on chewing.  The food is quite tasty, but it's tough. We had something slightly different when we were here the last time because I remember that it was incredibly tender and I think we were picking it off the bone (which makes sense).  Louis Prima was right, "Closer to the bone, sweeter is the meat."
We talked soccer through most of the night.  Job's team is Germany.  I told him I couldn't root for them, because they've been pretty hard on my ancestors.  He laughed, as did John.
When the game ended, the place emptied so by the time we finished the meal (the chips were outstanding) there was a bartender, 2 waiters and the manager sitting together staring at us, willing us to leave.  We obliged.
Job, Kevin and I came back to my room and we Skyped Andrea and Karen.  We would have used FaceTime, but the internet speeds here seem to be more cooperative for Skype.  Unlike the day we did it at Mbaka Oromo, there was little delay and the video was smooth.  We talked for quite some time, with Job always wise-cracking every time Sox (our cock-a-poo) was on screen.  He's been harassing Karen for years.  "He looks like he would be very sweet to eat.  I will hunt him in your back yard when I come to America.  I must have him for dinner."  Job's humor is wonderful, and his accent makes it even better.  When speaking english, it's very British.  The sentence sounds like, "He lukes like he would be very (shrill the "r") sweet tu eat.  I will hunt him in yoo-ah back yahd when I come to Amereekah.  I must have heem foe deen-ah."  As a general rule, he makes us laugh a lot.  He's also the only Kenyan I've ever heard utter a swear word.  During the week, he was eating an orange and spitting out the seed.  I said, "Do you spit them out because you don't want to grow a tree in your stomach?"  He said, "No. If I eat them I would sheet out a forrest (again, shrill the r).
His metaphors are great, too.  Our tiny friend Danton came to greet us late one morning, and his clothes were filthy.  We were sitting on the grass, and he approached with a grin on his face.  Job said, "Aye, Danton. Way-ah have you bean?  Have you been cleaning a train, or what?"  One, it's a funny metaphor.  Two, it's even funnier because they have no trains in Kenya... only tracks.  Danton's never seen one!
It's been an eventful week of completing projects, improving those that are self-sustaining, and planning for ones in the future.  My only disappointment was that we were to spend the entire week with Isaac and we only saw him for one night.  He called last night to say that he was stuck at Masai Mara and was unable to see us before we returned.  That was a let down on a few levels.  We're going to the US embassy today to try and get Job a visa.  While they'll let just about anyone into the country, they're very picky about letting anyone out.  Kenyans had/have a tendency to go visit America and never come back.  Isaac was able to come because they're was something here that would ensure his return - his wife and children.  Job was a bachelor the last time he applied, and they quickly said, "Denied."  They did say, however, that it would be helpful if I came with him next time. As his sponsor and "employer."  We'll be leaving here at 10am to see what we can accomplish.  I'm excited to visit the embassy... it's not something you do every day.
I'll try to get another posting done before we fly out... you'll all be sound asleep by then, or at least you should be.
Peace,
Adam

No comments: