"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world.
Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead

Building Futures, Inc.

Building Futures, Inc.

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

July 12, 2012 12:55am, Dubai

Well, Emirates has won our hearts again!  We weren't able to get bumps on the way here, but when we checked for fit row seats on the way to Nairobi, they had already moved Kevin and I to Business Class.  We still haven't wiped the smiles off our faces.

Kevin enjoyed the pizza they had on the way here (technically, he enjoyed mine, too).  I, on the other hand, am looking forward to having the food on this leg.  I snapped a picture of Kevin and stuffed animal that Karen gave me to accompany us on this trip.  The stuffed animal's on the left... he joined us for a snack in the Emirates Lounge before we went over to our gate.  Kevin grabbed a plate of fresh fruit, and I did the same.  The food here is just phenomenal.

I just got a Facebook message from our former parish priest Father William -he'll be meeting us at the airport in Nairobi.  Our friend Sister Ann asked me to bring him some books (several years ago) and despite our best efforts, we've never connected.  I feel confident that this might be the one!  Keep your fingers crossed. Those books have logged a lot of miles.  They should get bumped up to Business Class, too.



We've got a lot of projects to complete while we're here.  As always, some will be easy.  Others, not so much.  We'll be digging placenta pits (yes, I said, "placenta pits"), attempting to run electrical lines to the clinic, engaging the community to install the perimeter fence, and purchasing the furniture for the clinic with grant money from the Dorthea Ross Foundation that was awarded to Wegmans School of Nursing at St. John Fisher College.  Which reminds me, the impetus behind the relationship between our organizations (BFI & WSON) was started with Marilyn Dollinger (although Rick got to me first).  Her son and daughter-in-law had a baby girl last week.  Congratulations!  All 4 of those individuals came to Kenya during the first nurses visit that we scheduled 2 years ago (or was it 3).  The time moves so quickly.

We're not really able to contact anyone... not only do we not have a phone that works, but it's 1:10am.  I'd love to hear Andrea's voice right now, but it will have to wait until we land in Nairobi.  In the meantime, I'll be watching movies that make me think of her and the girls.  I only cried once on the way here.  Don't judge.

We get in around 2:30pm, then hop on another plane to Kisumu at 5.

TTFN

2 comments:

Carol lawrence said...

Praying for you and Kevin on this trip. Godspeed, my friend. May your work be easy and blessings abound.

Anonymous said...

glad you had a good flight. good luck.