"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world.
Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead

Building Futures, Inc.

Building Futures, Inc.

Saturday, March 3, 2012

Friday, February 24, 2012

This was our last day.  I was going to be flying out of Keekorok an hour before everyone else to ensure that I got to Nairobi ahead of them.  After breakfast, Andrea, Katie, Karen, Sue, Ryan, John and I hopped in the jeep with Dennis. We left at nine to ensure that we'd be at the landing strip by 10.  He drove quickly, and we made it with 5 minutes to spare.  We bought a couple items from the man selling trinkets at the strip (I was the only one who haggled with him - it made him smile when I started speaking kiswahili and telling him that he wasn't being nice).  Andrea walked me closer to the plane before giving me a hug and a kiss goodbye.  "You're going to be at the airport when we land..."  "Yes," I said reassuring her that I'd be there.  The plane took off.  I tried to sneak one last glimpse of them before they disappeared from view, but I was on the wrong side of the plane.

Thankfully, that last promise was one that I was able to deliver on.  It wasn't easy, but I was able to get past security and walk out onto the tarmac to greet them.  Karen had a good flight... no syncope or headache at all.  I was happy to be back with them.  We headed back to the Safarilink office, grabbed our luggage from storage and began combining our bags.  Once complete, we got back into the Gracepatt bus and headed fro Jomo Kenyatta International airport.

We made it in plenty of time.  We had to stop frequently due to traffic, and that made things difficult for Karen.  The heat in Nairobi is often unbearable.  It was that kind of day today.  She collapsed in her seat, but came to soon enough, and she was perfectly fine after that.  We made it into the airport terminal, checked all the bags, and made our way to the gate.

Most people looked in all the shops grabbing last minute gifts.  The conversations had died down by this part of the trip.  Most people were rather quiet.  Even when they were conversing, it was in much softer tones.  It gave everyone a chance to reflect on what they had just experienced.

We said it several times over the last few days.  Everyone had an idea as to what this trip meant to them.  I tried to be perfectly clear about what to expect.  Some of them will speak about how beautiful the children are.  Others, when they step off the plane, will comment about Masai Mara and the animals.  Still others might remark about the constructions site and their first comment.  Invariably, some will complain. Too hot, no water, didn't like the food...  That's just the way it is.

Ultimately, we commend everyone for making the trip because it is not for the faint of heart.  I can't promise them how they will interpret what they experience though; all we can do is try to make it as enjoyable and meaningful as possible.  I think we did that.

Thanks for coming with us.

No comments: