"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world.
Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead

Building Futures, Inc.

Building Futures, Inc.

Sunday, July 24, 2011

24/07/2011 Kisumu and back

I woke up this morning at 4am after 5 hours of sleep.  It took me another hour to fall back sleep, but thankfully I did.  Kevin never moved.  Not until 9:30 when I woke him up... that's 30 minutes shy of 12 hours of sleep for those of you keeping score at home.  Vincent picked us up at 10:15, and off we went.
He was in a different car this time... a silver Mitsubishi. This one's a little bit bigger than yesterday's, and the trunk stays shut. That's a plus.  It would have come in handy yesterday - every time we hit a bump, the trunk would fly open and Job (yes, like the old testament... how'e you like to have that name) would start screaming at him.

I contacted Noel Shinali (she's a college student working on her Masters in Community Health Development) and she met us at Tusky's (a local restaruant that doubles as a walmart).  I took Kevin through the store while we waited for her to arrive.  In the first isle they had generators, excercise equipment security fencing, saws, drills, crackers, milk and refrigerated dog food.  Nice.  The store's about the size of walmart, minus the organizaiton.  I think you get the idea.

We sat at Tusky's for the next several hours talking about Mbaka Oromo Primary School - orphan feeding program, health screenings, dispensary, clinic, supplies.  Kevin listened intently, and made comments where appropriate.  He would ask questions intermittently, too.  I was quite proud of how he handled himself today.  Most of the discussion centered around the welfare of the children at the elementary school, and how best to meet their needs.  We took a lot of notes, and set up appointments for later in the week.  Noel will be our feet on the ground after we return - she'll be responsible for the clinic project.  Job and Samuel will have oversight on construction.  I'll see Samuel tomorrow, and I'm really looking forward to it.  I'll have more time to spend with him on this trip, while Kevin works with the children.

We broke up the conversation with a trip to the Masai Market.  I can't tell you what we picked out because it would ruin the surprize.  I think we got enough to make everyone happy.  Some pretty cool stuff during this round.  Haglling, like always, was being done at a fevered pitch.

We finished buying things and headed to Kiboko Point for lunch... lunch a 3!  The retaurant was close, and always guarantees good food and nice scenery.  We were seated immediately.  Kevin got terryaki chicken wings, I got pepper chicken with vegetable rice, Noel got tilapia and vegetables, and Vincent got chicken marsala.  A trip to Kiboko Point is not complete without ice cream, so Noel and I obliged and Kevin got a chocolate shake. Delicious.  Noel asked Kevin questionsd gave him things to be aware of as he worked with children.  It was a nice interchange.

We left and dropped Noel off at the market.  This is the Kenyan equivalent of a flea market and a farmer's market combined.  Thousands of people selling their wares and thousands more buying them.  I've been there several times and it's a marvelous experience.  The colors and the smells are worth the trip.  Bright fruits and grains sit in burlap sacks against the contrasting earthtones beneath them.  Women cook chicken or tilapia on grills, others roast corn on the cob or make popcorn.  When we got out of the car, however, I got a bad vibe.  I've never had it her before, so I thougtht I better listen.  We said our goodbyes to Noel and I told Kevin, "Change of plans, get back in the car."  I explained to him the reasoning for it, and he was fine.  I think he fell asleep in the car during the 40 minute ride back to Maseno. 

We unpacked, and Kevin hopped on Facebook while I got the gifts ready for tomorrow's visit to Mbaka Oromo Primary School.  Ann packed special items for her and Karen's friends from the last trip - Susan and Emmmah, and thier little brother Danton.  As I placed the items from the plastic bag into the gift bag, I reallized that Danton's was gone.  The only thing that remained was a Star Wars blanket and a purple ball that bounces 75 feet in the air.

Karen called, and I forgot to tell her about Danton's gifts.  I'll try to find some things to add to the bag later.  Someone must have taken it between Dubai and Nairobi. Back to Karen... she's on her way to Toledo with Ann, LB and Mrs Ingram.  It was so nice of them to come with both of them for this trip.  It's an 8 hour drive, and I'm sure the doctors visits going to be stressfull.  We continue to hope for some answers.  Despite one syncope episode, karen had a great day at the tournament hitting 3 triples (and I don't know what else) and playing great defense.  She got the MVP for both the games they played yesterday.  She rocks.

Kevin's already fallen asleep, on pace to get another 12 hours of sleep.  He zonked after about 6:30, and we're being picked up tomorrow at 7:30. Bevore he closed his eyes, he let out a he let out a heavy sigh and said, "I feel like I'm old."  Nice.  I hope he sleeps with one eye open.  Anyhow, the Mbaka Oromo choir is leaving for Nakuru tomorrow for the state competitions.  Kevin and I will travel to Nakuru on Tuesday to see Springs of Hope Orphanage and hopefully catch the choir performing.
Because I am old, I'm turning in, too.  I do have some pictures to add, but my battery's almost dead, so they'll have to wait until tomorrow.  TTFN

1 comment:

Steven Thomsen said...

Adam, hearing about Kenya and Maseno makes me miss it even more. You're a good writer, but there's no way to really communicate what it's like - you have to experience it in person. Say hi to Noel and William for us. Also, hope your visit to Springs of Hope goes well. Jess and I had a long talk with Joseph Bail a while back and it sounds like a great operation. Looking forward to hearing more news from Maseno and Mbaka Oromo.

Steven and Jess Thomsen