"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world.
Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead

Building Futures, Inc.

Building Futures, Inc.

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Visiting Friends

Our latest journey began Thursday morning at 4am. We left for the airport at about 4:20am... a little late for my liking, but that's the way it worked out. Nobody got much sleep the night before. There was a mix of anxiousness and concern, sprinkled with a little fear every now and then. The flying was certainly the hardest part. Andrea and Kevin both suffer from migraines, along with a strong distaste for flights over 4 hours. Well, we nailed most of them on the first flight! My biggest concern, besides of course their welfare during the journey, was making sure I was able to collect Jim's remains and effects.
Prior to Jim's passing, friends of ours decided to join us on this trip. They, like many of you, saw the value that such a trip might bring. Not everyone can make that trip, though, so I know that alone was a big committment. I'm sure there was similar concerns on their minds... although more of it was about the unkown... illness, insects, food. All perfectly normal concerns. While Andrea and the children have been exposed to the pictures and stories over the last 5 years, our frineds have not. I crammed as much of the 5 years as I could into a condensed, intermittent stories. Little did I know, none of us were prepared for the events of the day.
I booked business class tickets which was a real treat for me. Yes, I always fly coach, but between migraines, and Karens cirulatory/syncope issues, I thought it would be best to make them as comfortable as possible. Despite being able to lie almost perfectly flat during the flight, Andrea still got migraines, and shortly after we landed, Karen feinted. One more, and we'd have had a hat trick.
Holy cow, I am way ahead of myself. Let's step back for a moment.
Much to my suprize, we landed at JFK on time... we were flying Delta, and my record with them is considerably less than stellar. Anyhow, we proceeded to the International Terminal with Our friends (Rich & Tamye, and their sons, Casey and Jack), our good friend Father Ed, and 14 pieces of luggage (besides our clothing, we were also bringing t-shirts for the softball players, books for the library, and computers for the lab). What I didn't tell you is that Katie was unable to come with us due to an exam on the day before we got back to the states. Well, at least that's what they thought! Katie and I had been planning a little suprize for everyone, and it paid off in spades. Karen was especially upset that Katie was not coming with us, and Andrea wasn't too happy about it either. But as we made our way toward the Emirates ticket counter, bam! There was Katie! Karen jumped into her arms, and I didn't think she was ever going to let go. Andrea said, "What are you doing here?" It was priceless, and well worth the price of admission. Kevin, on the other hand, was too aware of the many flubs I made when talking abou the upcoming trip. "I knew it!" he repeated as we came closer to her. It was really cool.
We made our way to the terminal, and went to the Emirates Lounge... another perk I didn't know about. Food and beverages, comfortable seats... I could get used to this but I know I can't.
They called us 25 minutes before the flight departed, and I watched as the kids played with their seat and tv controls. They were excited, but that started to wane when we got to the 9th hour of the flight. Sleep wasn't coming easy, and as I said, Andrea had a migraine, and Karen was looking very pale. Two injections later, Andrea was better, and Karen seemed to be back to her old self again. Keving was nervous about the flight, so he didn't sleep much. He kept himself busy with movies, though.
It was during hour 10 that I realized that I was supposed to be looking for a former student of Jim's who has her phd in Psychology. Jim and i were talking to her about addressing the mental health need to local residents, especially women. Well, I was so preocupied with Andrea and the kids, as well as consistent thoughts of Jim, I had completely forgotten. I found stuardess who was kind enough to find her and deliver a note that was full of apologies and self depricating humor. Thankfully, Kristen was there when we got off in Dubai. We wandered around a bit. The Starbucks didn't sell chai, so that was a major disappointment for Andrea. She let it pass quickly, though, and off we went to the next flight to Nairobi. Another uneventful flight. Made even morese because fatigue was setting in. Kevin and I slept most of the way. That was good, because we were gonig to need it later.
We got off the plane in Nairobi, and was greeted by opressive heat, and his girlfriend, high humidity. The temperature change didn't help Karen's condition. As we got to the domestic terminal in Nairobi, she passed out. She got a lot of looks, but not as many as I would have thought. One Kenyan couple started coming to her aide, and I told them that she would be alright, and explained what the problem was. Andrea sat at her head, her feet/legs were perched atop a stack of suitcases, and Kevin was fanning her with a sweatshirt. Eventually she got back.
Meanwhile, Father Ed and I went back outside where a woman from the US Embassy was waiting with Jim's ashes and his personal effects. This is where I can say that I am completely grateful that my entire family is here... our friends and pastor are gonig to be supportive, too. Tomorrow's ceremony will be a difficult one. Although the consular officer (Annie), who was so helpful to me and Jim's family, was anable to come meet us, she sent one of her assistants. She also made sure that she called me with I was accepiting hi sthings. I got his back pack and the small suitcase that he took with him to Mt. Kenya. On the seat next to them, was a cardboard box that contained his hiking boots, and a red velvet bag that was concealing a beautiful rosewood box. Jim loved the rosewood sculptures that are so common here, so it was entirely appropriate that this box held his ashes. We checked his suitcase with the other luggage. I kept his backpack with us at all times, and placed the velvet bag in my backpack.
It was already dark when we landed in Kisumu, and it was a comedy of errors until we got back to the guest house at a little after 11pm.
1st, the 14 passenger van turned out to be a 10 passenger van. We worked it out. The driver thankfully had another car to handle the additional bags and passengers. We worked it out. We then traveled to the Mega City Nakumat to buy some supplies. As we were leaving, the rain started coming down in buckets. We left the groceries and water with the driver, and ran across the road to Mon Ami to grab dinner. It was now about 8pm, and everyone was tired and hungry. We waited an hour for our food. Now everyone was really tired, and really hungry. While we waited, however, everyone was telling stories and getting better acquainted. I would periodically reach down toward my backpack on the floor next to me, and feel my way around the top of the back until my fingers to trace the outline of the rosewood box hidden inside. The food finally came, and the table fell silent. By the time we had finished eating, the rain had subsided, too. We walked back to the vehicles to begin the ride to Maseno. We got stopped at a checkpoint. 3 policemen wandered around the van shining their flashlight in at us. Although i hadn't really talked about it yet, I'm anxious to learn how everyone in the van felt about it. i was disappointed that it was so dark when we arrived. Everyone will have to wait until tomorrow morning to get a true appreciation for what they are surrounded by.
We dropped Kristen off at the Grail in Dar enja mbile, and proceeded to Maseno University. We unloaded the van of all the luggage and groceries, and as luck would have it, we were one suitcase short. Kevin's. I'm sure he'll be facebooking this first thing tomorrow. He's taking it really well, although I'm sure it's making him nervous. Our driver will check with the airline first thing tomorrow before coming to get us at 8:30 to take us to Mbaka Oromo for Jim's memorial service.
We assigned rooms to everyone, and I'm sure they're all sleeping soundly. everyone, including me, is pretty exhausted. It's 2:15am, so I'm gonig to turn in. I don't think this program has spellcheck, and I can feel my fingers getting lazy as I type the last few lines.
I'll get back to you tomorrow afternoon (I hope). Jim's service starts at 10, and I'd like to be back closer to the Guest House by 5. We'll see. Kevin's in a room with me, and he's talking in his sleep. Karen and Katie are with Andrea. Ed's room separates our two rooms, and Rich's family is down the hall in two rooms. They've done some upgrading here! New shower curtains, some water heaters on the showers... I'm sure Jim had something to do with that last one. I apoligize if this entry is somewhat scatter-brianed, but I've been running on fumes for the last couple hours.
Lala salama everyone.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Praying for all of you as you do God's work!
Kathi Tarpey

Anonymous said...

Wow Adam, really just WOW! I hope your trip goes well and everyone enjoys the beauty all around them. I am sorry about your friends passing.

Di Russell-Horn said...

Adam, so glad to hear you all made it, you've all been on my mind. Bri and I will be thinking of you tomorrow, I know it will be hard but I'm sure that you will feel Jim everywhere and it will bring you all comfort. Give the kids a kiss for me and Andrea a big hug, tell her I'll have Starbucks waiting for her when she gets home. Love you all. di

Unknown said...

Adam you have such a gift for writing....I feel as though I'm right there with you and laughed out loud in some parts. And celebrated with you at your daughter's surprise appearance! Wishing you the strength to deliver words of comfort to the people of Kenya at tomorrow's service. Thanks for taking up some precious sleep time to keep us all informed:)

Unknown said...

adam,
thanks for making us feel like we are with you.
so glad i can picture where you are.
thinking of all of you.
terry paddock

Unknown said...

While we are not there with you Adam..our thoughts are with you and we are there in spirit. Be safe and we do so wish we could be at Jim's service.
Very cool that Katie could make it too!

Dave Paddock

Melissa said...

Adam Andrea and family ... following your journey with amazement and humor. wishing you all the best in this journey to Kenya. Adam nice job eith the Katie surprize !! Melissa